This list has made its way around online for a while now, and it gets funnier every time I read it, so I thought I'd share it with you here. I have no idea where it originates but if you know where it originally came from, let me know. I'd love to give credit where credit is due.
Here are 25 Ways to Know If You Are a TRUE Floridian:
1. Socks are only for bowling.
2. You never use an umbrella because the rain will be over in five minutes.
3. A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade.
4. Your winter coat is made of denim.
5. You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.
6. You're younger than thirty but some of your friends are over 65.
7. Anything under 70 degrees is chilly.
8. You've driven through Yeehaw Junction.
9. You know that no other grocery store can compare to Publix.
10. You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn't worth waking up for.
11. You dread love bug season.
12. You are on a first name basis with the hurricane list. They aren't Hurricane Charley or Hurricane Frances. You know them as Andrew, Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne, Wilma, Irene, Cheryl, Rita, Mary, Alison
13. You know what a snowbird is and when they'll leave.
14. You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average.
15. ‘Down South' means Key West.
16. Flip-flops are everyday wear. Shoes are for business meetings and church, but you HAVE worn flip flops to church before.
17. You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt.
18. You get annoyed at the tourists who feed seagulls.
19. A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.
20. You know the four seasons really are: hurricane season, love bug season, tourist season and summer.
21. You've hosted a hurricane party.
22. You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee , Withlacoochee , Thonotosassa and Micanopy.
23. You understand why it's better to have a friend with a boat, than have a boat yourself.
24. You've worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas and New Years.
25. You recognize Miami-Dade as ‘Northern Cuba.'
You feel like you’re on vacation every evening and weekend!
Elaine Roberson says
You husband screams at the tv because his football game has been interrupted by hurricane coverage.
Elaine Roberson says
You have lobster for Thanksgiving dinner because it is cheaper.
You know that Salt Water Taffy is NOT made from salt water! Johns Pass…
Marc Hennemann says
You realize that it takes three hours to drive from Key West to Miami, no matter how fast you go.
Becky Richards says
You sometimes groan at the sight of the bright sun and the heat it creates.
Joann Pfender says
You’ve driven behind someone on 75 for over 500 miles and they never turned their blinker off
Kevin Kearley says
You now understand why old people drive slowly because you now drive slowly…no reason to hurry.
Skip P says
The sound of waves is our sound of music
You know to flip the UOAP magnet upside down on someone’s car because you’re a passholder too.
You and almost everyone you know has a pool, or one in large neighborhood pool.
You know what a “No See’um” is…and always have a supply of Cutter nearby.
You have a lanai not a porch.
Because it feels like home!
Lynell Fischer says
that funny noise outside at night is the mosquito truck…
Ralph Z says
Swim trunks, flipflops and a tshirt is perfectly acceptable attire to go shopping at publix because you just left the beach
You pronounce it FLOO-ri-dah not FLA-ri-dah
Sue Schrock says
Grits w/shrimp – tails NOT taken off – very messy to eat – not to mention how to ruin perfectly good shrimp! YUCK!
John Urban says
When you plan your entire day around making it to your favorite restaurant in time for the early bird special.
You cannot wait for turtles to hatch to have a party on the beach.
Tourists and Snowbirds of all shapes and sizes annoy you to no end, because they CAN’T DRIVE.
Carla Stevens says
when you celebrate Christmas on the beach
Joseph Cooper says
You know that Disney World isn’t actually in Orlando (It’s in Lake Buena Vista/Kissimmee)
Joseph Cooper says
Your school is made up of 50% rednecks and 50% hispanics
John Shaffer says
The timing, on stoplight change when the snow birds come to roost.
Bealls is your go-to store.
You Never Get Tired of Photographing Beautiful Sunsets
jules monroe says
You don’t use turn signals because you don’t want anyone to know where you’re going. You think “Right On Red” means, you have the right to turn on red without stopping. smh
You know that when driving through the country you sometimes have to pull over to clean the bugs off your windshield so you can see
You don’t pay the slightest attention to a vehicle’s turn signal because there are an equal number of drivers who don’t use the gadgets as those who forgot to turn them off.
You know Disney world better than any of the tour guides there…..
Cat Stephens says
You measure distance in time not milage.
When you have a freezer full of Spiny Lobster tails waiting for the grille to warm up
You know that you can’t take out a 5 foot Marine Iguana with your pellet gun.
You have eaten Chocalosky Chicken
Golf carts are the vehicle of choice.
You don’t mind leaving your family up north because you know they’ll come visit.
Dorothy larty says
Your favorite shoe is Birkenstocks